Liposuction Recovery: How to Speed It Up?
Liposuction is a trending cosmetic surgery procedure which aims to decrease the extra fat deposits around the abdominal area, lower back, bra roll, arms, calf, thighs and provides a toned, balanced appearance. Being a relatively minor operation as compared to an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck, the recovery time spans from 5 days to a week. Nevertheless, the recovery time can be expedited if the patient follows the surgeon’s instructions closely.
Dr. Arif Hussain is a renowned plastic surgeon who has performed numerous abdominal liposuctions and also other areas including breast, thighs, arms etc. Dr. Hussain discusses the details of the recovery with each patient before the operation so they are clear in terms of what to do once the surgical stage is over and recovery commences.
Below are some of the tips Dr. Hussain gives to his patients which have helped countless patients in speeding up their recovery journey.
- Follow the surgeon’s advice: Liposuction may appear to be among the lesser invasive surgeries but it still is an extensive procedure. Therefore, to follow the surgeon’s instructions becomes more critical since the surgeon has experience in this regard and knows that the results are equally dependent on the post op care than the procedure itself. You may ask the surgeon every bit of detail at the last appointment before your procedure to ensure you have the full picture in your mind. Accompany a close family member or friend if you feel like you are too weary or unable to comprehend everything. Don’t worry, Dr. Hussain will guide you if need be, even after the surgery including calling you for follow up appointments to check on your progress
- Refrain from Blood thinner medications: Avoid using Blood thinning drugs such as ibuprofen, aspirin since they may exacerbate the swelling and edema and may also promote bleeding from the fresh operation. Other articles to avoid are caffeine and alcohol. The patient is also advised to observe smoking cessation.
- Get Ample Rest: As with other surgeries, the body needs to be allowed an uninterrupted resting period for it to heal quickly after a Liposuction. Reschedule your busy work days for the weeks after your surgery to give time to your body to replenish. If you feel bad about being stuck at home, remember that resting is the time where the reparative process is accelerated. Your results depend on your recovery. After your liposuction, you need at least 2 days of bed rest. You shouldn’t worry much since you’ll be back to work in 3-4 days to flaunt your new body. Each liposuction is different in terms of the extent and amount of fat that is extracted. Therefore, you should ask your surgeon for the number of days required for your own rest. To spare yourself of overburdening yourself post-surgery, make preparations for resting beforehand. Arrange your bed, mattress and bedding before you leave for surgery, these measures have been proven to be valuable.
- Hydrate: After the surgery, you need to keep a check on your hydration levels to make sure your body has enough water. The last thing you need is a dehydrated body which heals poorly.
- Ensure proper protein rich diet: Post Op, the patient is recommended to increase their consumption of lean proteins in the form of seafood, dry beans, eggs, nuts, chicken breast and certain seeds. There foods can replenish your protein stores and will expedite the healing. Proteins are required for new cell synthesis and is crucial in replacing dead cells with newer cells. Other aspects to monitor prior to surgery are sugars and saturated fats.
- Decrease Salt Intake: It is advisable for the patients to decrease the intake of salt in their food following surgery. It is common knowledge that salts such as sodium have pivotal role in the circulation since they regulate the blood pressure.
- Apples and Pineapples: Studies have shown both apples and pineapples are rich in quercetin and bromelain. These chemicals have anti-inflammatory characteristics and therefore reduce post-operative edema and also help reduce bruising.
- Mild Exercise: After 2 days of bed rest, the patients can begin light activity and are encouraged to go out for a small walk. This gives the patients a mental head start, as well as speeds up recovery. Bearing in mind that heavy exercises such as weight lifting or intensive training at this point are not advised. Patients may slowly pace their exercises with the passage of time and will gain full strength in 3-4 weeks to perform their normal strength training. Just ensure that you have consulted your surgeon and have received the update regarding your progress before attempting anything vigorous.
- Lymphatic Massage: A usually recommended maneuver following Liposuction is a lymphatic massage. A lymphatic massage requires massaging the relevant areas around lymphatic drainage which promote settling of edema. This process may be carried out per week preferably aby a professional or by the patient themselves. Studies show the effectiveness of lymphatic massage in uplifting the patient’s immunity and decreasing the production of toxins.
- Aromatherapy: An unconventional yet effective therapy being used around the world for post-operative recovery is aromatherapy. It is the use of pleasant scents and aroma using grapefruit or peppermint oils. Patients report feeling relaxed and alleviated or depression by the use of aromatherapy.
- Punctual use of Compression Garments: The surgeon will provide a garment after the procedure to be worn snugly around the areas which have underwent liposuction. Once the bandages enclosing the incisions are taped off, these compression garments may be applied to provide a continuous support around the surgical area. The blood vessels are repaired underneath the garment support. The abdominal contours are supported since the muscles at this moment are not strong enough and the force on the incisions is depressurized. Also, by providing adequate compression the risk of seroma formation is decreased exponentially since proper compression aids draining of fluid.
- Steer away from Swimming Pools: Swimming pools are prone to bacterial accumulations and you must avoid it since your body’s immunity is weak post op.
By following these steps, the patients can expect a quick and full recovery in no time. If you have any questions after your liposuction surgery, reach out to Dr. Arif Hussain and his team and they will be willing to help you in your journey to a stunning physique. For Free Consultation with Dr Arif Hussain, Fill the Form below to book your consultation!